Quinn & Cameron
The OCAI model of Quinn and Cameron has four dimensions to characterize an organization culture. The dimensions are people focused, management focused, innovative and results-oriented. Quinn and Cameron describe the characteristics of leaders belonging to the four cultures that are included in the model of competing values. Research suggests that most organizations develop a dominant cultural style. More than 80 percent of the thousands of organizations which they have examined were characterized by a culture type from the model. In organizations without a dominant culture type, consisted either uncertainty about the culture there, or were the four cultural types equal stresses.
When an organization is dominated by the hierarchical culture, it showed that the most effective managers showed a the appropriate leadership style. That is to say they are good organizers, auditors, security guards, drivers and coordinators, and maintain efficient operations.
When an organization is dominated by the market culture, it managers, be considered as the most effective when their people well behind the trousers to sit and the whip and relentless competitive mentality possess it. They are well in the course, produce results, negotiate and the motivation of others.
If the organization is dominated by the family culture, than the most effective leaders are father figures, team creators, massagers, guardians, mentors and donors.
Effective leaders in adhocracy culture dominated by an organization are typically entrepreneurial in nature, visionary, innovative, creative, risk appetite and forward-looking.
It obvious that the most effective leadership style, in the rule apply to the culture of the organization. The culture is formed by six content dimensions:
- The dominant characteristics of the organization, i.e. how the organization as a whole looks like.
- The style of leadership and the procedure, who throughout the organization is to be found.
- The personnel management i.e. the characteristic way in which employees are treated, as well as the working environment of the staff.
- The binder of the organization, i.e. the mechanisms which the organization alive.
- The strategic accents which indicate which areas in the strategy the focus.
- The success criteria which determine when something is considered as a victory and what recognition and is rewarded.*
You can click on the following link to download the questionnaire: Questionnaire OCAI tool
Thanks to a French student we have now also the OCAI in the French available. Grâce à une étudiante français nous ont maintenant également le en français disponible OCAI: Questionaire French-OCAI-tool
You will find more specific information in the literature of Cameron & Quinn, shown in the left section of the NL page.
*Source: ‘Diagnosing and Changing Organizational Culture’ based on ‘Competing Values Leadership’, Quinn & Cameron, 2011 & 2006.